Thursday, December 3, 2009

Yoga For Kids

Photobucket

A few weeks ago I was asked to teach yoga to a class of 4 year olds. Now, not only do I not have kids- but I am barely even around kids, so I thought how in the world am I going to do this? And how did I even get myself into this?

I teach a class once a week at Patrick Henry Elementary for a group of teachers after school. The teachers seem to really love the class- and so one of the teachers asked me one day if I would like to come in and teach her class a short yoga routine. I immediately agreed- even though I had no idea how I was going to alter my class to a much younger audience than I was used to.


After working with some great yoga flash cards called "Yoga Pretzels" I got my class in order, not sure if the children would respond to me at all.

The morning of the class I showed up with much anticipation, but confident that at least someone might want to do a pose called "Downward Facing Dog" - or maybe even a pose called "Cobra."









The kids immediately got into a circle and took off their socks and shoes. And, being as quiet as they could for a group of four year olds, they began following me through the motions. We practiced being mountains, cats, dogs, boats, and even rocks. A few times I asked the kids to let me hear what sound they thought that particular animal made. The kids were really good at this- and a few even came charging towards me on their hands and feet barking! Not to mention, I almost got "attacked" by a "shark."





At the end of the routine we all laid down and closed our eyes, imagining that we were in our "special place." We imaged what it looked like around us, maybe we were somewhere we had seen in a picture, or maybe just our room at home. We imaged who was there with us, and took time just to be quiet. Everyone did so great at this!





This was such a great experience and I cannot wait to go back and teach another class!

For more information please visit the Life Yoga website or become a fan on Facebook!

Thanks for reading!

Hillary Wright
Life Yoga, Owner

No comments:

Post a Comment