Friday, November 6, 2009

Divine Designs by Mandy- Don't Match, Monochromatic Match

Photobucket

Time and time again I hear this question, "I can't find the right color of purple fabric to match the flowers that I want to use in my wedding!" and every time I silently nod my head in empathy for every misguided soul. After over 12 years of working with botanical products and nature's colors, I have created thousands of beautifully coordinated design pieces. Here's the secret...STOP TRYING TO MATCH COLORS! That's right!

What most people do not realize is that there is scientific formula in a little handy tool called, the color wheel. In the color wheel, there are combinations based on the three primary colors red, yellow, and blue. From there we have our secondary colors orange, green, and purple and then our tertiary colors yellow-orange, red-orange, red-purple, blue-purple, blue-green and yellow-green.

12 part color wheel

We all remember this fancy little diagram from school. Right? Well as most of us remember, there are complementary colors which are the colors opposite from each other on the color wheel. As you can see, each opposing color is appeasing to the eye because they offer balance with contrast in light to dark. For example, who doesn't think that black and white look fabulous together?

Now, for the coordinating issue that I am addressing, lets talk about analogous colors. Those are colors that are side by side in the color wheel. Such as blue, blue-purple, and purple. They belong in a group and what we florists like to refer to them as "monochromatic", are a pleasing, complementary impact of color.

Photobucket

So, when a bride asks me the question regarding a matching fabric to a botanical flower, I simply refer to them the option of monochromatic use of color impact. The reason this analogous harmony reigns, you ask? To successfully showcase your favorite purple tulip in a bridesmaid's bouquet, consider how selecting a lighter shade of purple such as lavender will bring the focus to the carefully selected flower by making it the star of the show and the dress on the maid a flattering backdrop to the overall vision.

Photobucket
For more information call or email me at 918-269-8170 or at flystyledesign@hotmail.com . You may also visit me on Facebook and join my Fan Page "Divine Designs by Mandy".

Thanks for reading!

Mandy Miller
Divine Designs

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Fashion Photographer Brisbane

    ReplyDelete